Tuesday, October 14, 2008

First Day of my new blog

This is my first post of my new blog.  I've had one on Blogspot that has been sporadically updated, but this is my chance to turn over a new leaf!  I have started a new Etsy shop as well, which as yet has nothing in it, but these two new sites I have commandeered are a sisterhood, so I thought it only made sense to begin anew in the blogosphere.

Since this is technically a new blog, I feel it is only right to introduce myself and explain my intentions.  I am a Southern Maine resident, a fiance, an expectant mother, and a creator.  The first things I remember creating were doll clothes.  But I branched out from that to begin making jewelry around the age of 11.  Polymer clay beads were my big thing for a few years, but then my mother was moving her small business in the jewelry direction, so we soon had Swarovski crystal, sterling silver, and semi-precious beads to work with.   Needless to say, Sculpey clay didn't fare well against those sparkly new competitors. 

I learned to crochet around 16 or 17, and for a while I just did my little double or single crochet scarves.  That got dull quick, and I obtained some books and taught myself lots of prettier stitches.  Over the past summer, I started wet and needle felting, and to further expand my fiber skills, I just taught myself to knit using the Stitch n' Bitch book.  I think Debbie Stoller is about the only person who could've taught me to knit.  Now I have my eye on learning to spin my own yarn, to really complete the fiber madness.  

So that's my crafting history in a nutshell, minus the ATC mania that overtook me from 2006-2007.  I've always loved paper crafts too.  And sewing is something I've done over the whole course of my creative life, both by hand and on my mother's Bernina.

I think that's been enough excitement for today.  I won't post a link to my shop until I get something in it, which will hopefully happen in the next couple days or so!  

1 comment:

Geek+Nerd said...

Cyndle! Holy crap! I think of you often too! You're expecting??? Congratulations!

The holiday markets are on Nov 22 and Dec 20th, and there is also a winter market going on Dec 6th in Exeter. A great source of information is Seacoast Eat Local - here's a link to their calendar page: http://www.seacoasteatlocal.org/calendar.html.

Just so you know - I've been going to a very consistent SnB group in Dover at Cafe on the Corner, Tuesdays from 6:30-9:00. I would love, love *LOVE* to see you there sometime and catch up! I'm bookmarking your blog!